Yellow teeth cause an unattractive smile which can affect the well-being and the self-esteem of the patient. For this reason, it is necessary to have a consultation in cosmetic dentistry.
What are the causes of yellow teeth ?
Yellow teeth are the result of the discoloration of the outer layer of the enamel that can be caused by the consumption of certain foods in addition to the accumulation of dental plaque, and when we talk about the colour of the tooth, we must distinguish between two types of staining:
1/ External stains linked to tobacco, coffee and tea, which "stick" to the surface of the teeth. They can be easily removed by scaling and polishing at the dentist's office.
In this case yellow teeth can be caused by several factors such as :
- Excessive smoking
- Some drinks such as coffee, tea, red wine and soft drinks.
- Some spices like turmeric and curry.
- Poor dental hygiene : the accumulation of dental plaque and the proliferation of certain bacteria are the causes of the unsightly discoloration of the teeth.
- Age and health : The natural wear of the enamel accelerates with age. Moreover, some medical treatments can weaken the enamel and promote tooth yellowing.
2/ Internal staining which is the tooth's own staining. Dental whitening products will act on this coloration, by provoking an oxidation reaction of the colored pigments of the tooth.
What are the symptoms ?
The first symptoms are the changes in the natural color of the teeth and the appearance of yellow stains.
For example, with age, teeth tend to become yellow and dull as the enamel layer becomes thinner, making the color of the dentin more visible.
Sometimes, yellow stains can appear on the teeth. They are the result of excessive and regular consumption of certain foods that naturally contain yellowish substances, such as coffee, tobacco or tea. They can cause or accelerate the yellowing process of the teeth. It should be noted that a yellowish stain can also be a sign of a cavity.
Other stains can change the color of the teeth :
White stains can be both a change in the color of the enamel, but above all they mark an area of weakening of the enamel which is not sufficiently mineralized in these areas. This phenomenon can appear especially in people who wear braces with bands. These white stains can also mark the presence of a tooth decay or be the result of a Fluorine overdose in children during the teeth growth period : it is fluorosis.
Black or brown stains on the other hand can be due to an advanced cariogenic process, to inappropriate oral care allowing bacteria to develop, to smoking or to the use of certain medications such as antibiotics.
Yellow teeth effects
Yellow teeth are a source of discomfort and embarrassment in most relationships. In addition to making the aesthetics and harmony of the smile unpleasant, yellow teeth also have a negative impact on a person's overall image.
It is important to note that a smile is one of the very first things that come to mind when communicating with others and it is the first thing we notice, and in these cases, having yellow teeth may affect the person psychologically.
How to prevent yellowing of the teeth ?
It is possible to prevent yellowing of the teeth and this by following these recommendations:
- Brush your teeth after every meal and at least twice a day, you can also use dental floss and/or dental brushes
- Avoid smoking and limit your consumption of coffee, tea, red wine, soft drinks, etc
- Make an appointment with your dentist once or twice a year for a scaling and a check-up so as to maintaing healthy and brillant teeth.
How to treat yellow teeth?
There are many treatments for yellow teeth such as :
- Teeth whitening which is an effective treatment to have white teeth and remove stains, this technique allows the patient to have a radiant smile and thus regain self confidence.
- Dental veneers is a dental treatment that aims at improving the colour of the teeth and their shape, these veneers are thin ceramic films bonded to incisors and canines so as to have healthy teeth and a beautiful smile.